Unlike Sandwich Board Man, This Guy Gets It  

Posted by Rob Barton in , , ,

Technorati add to del.icio.us
saved by 0 users

Paul Nawrocki, aka the Sandwich Board man, aka Anti-Joe the Plumber seems to think that walking around the streets of Manhattan with a sign that says "Almost Homeless" will net him an executive position. How's that working out for you, Paul? How about taking an example from James Williamson.

All he wants is a job, but James Williamson and his fresh MBA diploma aren't having any luck. So the 25-year-old is taking advantage of a captive audience - the one in the back of his yellow cab.

He's posted his résumé on the divider behind the front seats, in the hope that one of his customers might be the employer of his dreams.

Mr. Williamson gets it. He has the tools necessary to succeed in this world. He realizes that the American Dream is not something that is handed to you, but something that you strive every day to achieve. He is taking opportunity instead of hoping that someone will take pity on him as they stumble across him on a busy Manhattan street. He realizes that he may not have the job he wants right now,

"I was hoping the economy would be better by the time I got out," he said. "I was hoping for an entry-level job. I was just trying to get my foot in the door. I was confident with my degree, and then after the first month I started saying, 'Oh, maybe I'll take customer-service jobs.' "

but he has the tools he needs to get ahead. He is not waiting around while looking for his opportunity, either. He realizes that some kind of job will at least help pay the bills, so he drives his taxi around NYC making contacts all day long. He hasn't had a real hit yet, although one patron has offered him some advice on his resume.

Good Luck, Mr. Williamson, I am rooting and praying for you.

0 comments

Post a Comment